Saturday 15 May 2010

Short note on Robert Cormier's "Heroes".

I got this book to read in my English class. It's kinda OK. There's that Francis guy who returns after war with face injuries and wants to kill other guy, LaSalle, because... I didn't get there yet. This is a successful attempt at writing a complex plot in a bitesize form for children and... teenagers? Believe it or not, this book is actually described as "young adult novels" by Wikipedia, but then again it might be my biased point of view because I first read DaVinci Code when I was 11, and I enjoyed.

Back on topic, this book doesn't suck. It's kinda interesting as you look at it, although I'm not sure why exactly. It's a kind of book that feels like a compilation of someone's facebook updates. Simple language, leaves lots to imagination, and correctly uses real-time first-person narration - as opposed to The Name Of The Rose, where narrator is an older version of one of the main characters, Adso.
But what's up with some other books written by Cormier? I mean, how on earth you can explain
I am the cheese
I AM THE... CHEESE?
Seriously, you don't name books like that! It's just stupid!
"I am the cheese"...(!) Dude, what the FUCK?! As in, what the fuck were you ON? But this is not exactly the one I fear the most, for there is also...
Now this is just plain stupid. And guess what - it has a complicated, freemason-esque plot, based over - you sitting comfortably? - school chocolate sale. They even turned it into a film. This is something I'd review. Maybe in some time.

So yeah, this is Cormier.


I'm lamp-ARR-ski, Pop culture is my domain and object of research.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to add something or just post a thought? Here is where you can do it. Note that your comment may be displayed in the footer